Monday, January 08, 2007

Hypocritical?

I know that it's hypocritical to preach what you don't practice. I am trying not to preach, but just to record what I am practicing.

I want to make it clear that I have a huge carbon footprint. Last year I flew a lot. I'm afraid to do the calculations.

I live in a city where all the best jobs are in the oil industry, in a province where a large part of the public dollar comes from the sale of oil and gas. My own comfort is based on the continued well-being of the oil and gas industry.

Having said all that, here I am trying to make some changes to cut down my carbon footprint. Is that hypocritical?

I don't know. Maybe it is. But you know what? Two wrongs don't make a right.

If we all stopped trying to make a good change because it would be hypocritical of us, where would that lead us? I am less afraid of being called a hypocrit than I am of living through a world-wide drought and all the other horrors of continued global warming.

1 comment:

JillyFlorio said...

I totally agree with you. You have to do what you can and still live - that's the challenge, and none the less worthy for having made your/my share of CO2 emissions in the past and future.