Monday, January 01, 2007

Catching wasted shower water

I know that the little things I do to cut down my personal environmental impact are small, trivial, even silly.

I know that I don't care what everybody else thinks about that.

Today I put a bucket in my shower and caught all the water I had to run before the shower got warm enough for me to step in. (I hate standing in cold water). I used the water to fill the toilet tank. There was enough for 1 flush. I'll have to measure the actual volume sometime.

If I do this every day, I will save about 6 litres (if I guess that's the volume of water in one flush) X 365 days, or 2,190 litres of water. In fact, I will probably save almost double that much because I don't have a low-flow toilet. Guess what else is on the list of home improvements?

The City of Calgary (where I live) wants us to reduce our household water consumption from about 340 to 240 litres per day. In the UK, the average is closer to 150 litres per day.

By reducing my personal consumption of water, I reduce my carbon footprint because it takes energy to process the water I send down my drain. How much carbon per litre? I don't know... yet.

No comments: