Friday, January 05, 2007

How the kettle and the hot water bottles save energy in bed

The lowly kettle is mightier than the furnace when it comes to heating the part of the home that really matters.

I get cold in bed. My feet are cold. When my feet are cold, the rest of me soon follows.

For Christmas Santa brought me two hot water bottles. I heat water in the kettle, put it in the hot water bottles, take them to bed and like magic, I'm warm all night.

It's more pleasant than heating the room and feeling stuffy. I like to breathe cool air. Under warm blankets.

Energy savings? I don't know but I bet it's worth 5 degrees on the thermostat. That's a lot.

1 comment:

graceonline said...

That's a wonderful way to stay warm. When I was a little kid in a house with a single potbellied stove that did NOT live in the bedroom, my Mama would heat bath towels on the stove and wrap them around our feet when we crawled into bed at night. Oh my, that was the best feeling.

It is said that folks who don't overheat their houses (and most westerners do, so I'm told) are healthier and live longer.